Schools Timeline
But girls education lagged there were 3 endowed and 9 propriety schools for girls in the whole of London. Education…
Read More
The 1870 Education Act made elementary education compulsory for all to be provided by locally elected school boards and paid…
Read More
Twickenham: Mrs Hannah Sharp. Henry James Rost (preparatory), King Street. Miss Ann Harriet Barker, Catherine Villa, London Road. Miss J…
Read More

The school was founded in Chantry House in Fairfax Road in 1883. Chantry House still exists but it has recently…
Read More
The school had its beginning in 1883 when it was part of a school for girls and infants. In January…
Read More
The school is still on its original site in Winchester Road which was formerly Turks Road.
This Act abolished school boards and gave power to provide both primary and secondary education to elected County Councils and…
Read More
Trafalgar Primary School was opened in Third Cross Road. Drill and PE were taken in the ‘marching corridors’. See the…
Read More

Twickenham County School for Girls established in Clifden Road, Twickenham.The Mall School, an independent preparatory school for boys moves to…
Read More
Nelson Infant School was a pleasant rural school housed in a large hut in Nelson Road. It took the ‘overflow’…
Read More
Orleans Council School became Orleans Infant School. There were 152 children on the register. See the school’s web site.
St Catherine’s School opened in Vicarage Road, Twickenham. School moved to Popes Grove in 1916 and then to Popes Villa…
Read More
This Act raised the school leaving age to 14 and more schools were opened as a result.
A hard winter followed the end of the war. On February 6th 1919 the log book of St James’s RC…
Read More
From the log book of Nelson Infant School – the school hut had become “a long noisy room, divided by…
Read More
Denmead school first opened its doors to two pupils, Philip James and his friend Brian Fairley. Philip’s father was a…
Read More

The public elementary school was opened on its present site on the corner of Windmill Road and St Jame’s Avenue…
Read More
The new buildings for Nelson Infant School were completed. See the school’s web site.
Thames Valley Grammar School for boys and girls was opened as one of the very few mixed secondary schools in…
Read More
Heathfield Elementary School opened with 3 classrooms for 90 pupils. See the school’s web site.

Navarre School for Girls and Boys, 20 First Cross Road, Twickenham (Miss Emily Hart, Principal). This school was in all…
Read More
The foundation stone for Bishop Perrin CE school was laid in 1935 by the widow of Bishop Perrin, the Bishop…
Read More

Fortescue House School The boys from the Shaftesbury Homes move to Wellesley House (the Police Orphanange closes but many boys…
Read More
Lady Eleanor Holles School Founded in 1711 in the Ward of Cripplegate in the City of London. The school came,…
Read More
Hampton Grammar School moved into new buildings in Hanworth Road. See the school’s web site.
In 1939, when War broke out the Sacred Heart RC school became a first aid post and ambulance station. This…
Read More
St Edmund’s RC voluntary school opened with 100 children aged 5-8 years, in 3 small rooms behind the old St…
Read More
World War II began. The men were called up to join the armed services and married women were called back…
Read More
Newland House School (“Twickenham Grammar School“) moves from Strawberry Hill Road to Waldegrave Park, Twickenham/Teddington. See the school’s web site.
The 1944 Education Act was a landmark act and provided free public education for all at three stages – primary,…
Read More
Whitton Junior school opened in new buildings. It was officially opened 3 years later by the ballerina Dame Ninette de…
Read More
Edwina House School moves from St Peter’s Road, St Margaret’s to 12 Strafford Road, Twickenham and back again the following…
Read More
Chase Bridge primary school was built on former allotments. It had modern buildings with extensive playing fields and an outdoor…
Read More
The boys from Kneller school were moved to the new Whitton Secondary School (now Twickenham Academy) and Kneller became an…
Read More
The boys from Stanley Road School moved to the new all boys secondary school at Broom Road. See the school’s…
Read More
St John the Baptist CE Junior School was founded. See the school’s web site.
The school was built in 1964 to provide three classrooms, cloakrooms, hall, kitchen and offices. In 1969 a new wing…
Read More
Waldegrave School for Girls was founded by merging Twickenham County School and Kneller School both for girls. The merged school…
Read More
Richmond upon Thames 6th Form College was founded taking over the old Technical College site. See the college’s web site.
An Independent Co-Educational school established at Hampton Court House. See the school’s web site.
In September 2015, Turing House School opened in temporary accommodation in Teddington, where a founding cohort of 100 Year 7…
Read More


















